(03) 7034 4128

Do I need a referral to see a psychologist?
No. You don’t have to have a referral but it is highly recommended that you obtain a Mental Health Treatment Plan for your child from the GP before your first visit as this entitles you to Medicare rebates which can reduce the out of pocket costs of your child’s sessions.

How can I get a Mental Health Treatment Plan for my child?
Make an appointment to see your GP and let them know you are after a Mental Health Treatment Plan for your child as this will usually require a longer appointment. If you explain why you want your child to visit the psychologist, most GPs will be happy to write a Plan for you, although it is completely at their discretion.

How many sessions can I get a rebate for?
You can claim up to 10 session rebates in a calendar year from Medicare using a “Mental Health Treatment Plan” for psychology. If you are seeing our OT or Speech Pathologist, you can get a different Plan called a “Chronic Disease Management Plan” which entitles you to 5 sessions in a calendar year with those specialists.

Do the Medicare rebates fully cover costs?
Unfortunately not. Our private and Medicare sessions are $170 for a 50 minute session, and the Medicare rebate is about half of that amount and so the out of pocket cost for each psychology visit is going to be around $85.

Do you bulk bill sessions?
Unfortunately, as a private practice, we can’t afford to bulk bill sessions. We don’t have access to government support or charitable donations like a not-for-profit might. However, there are psychology services that bulk bill and these are usually run from local community health services so if the cost of our sessions is prohibitive, your local community health service may be a better option.

If I just want an assessment done, why do I have to do an intake session first?
1. We have to determine if the requested assessment is appropriate.
2. We have to meet your child to determine how many sessions we will need to complete the assessment. Some children will take longer to complete the process than others depending on their individual attention span.
3. We need to determine what the assessment is for exactly as this may affect what reports and letters are required based on the outcome of the assessment.
4. We need to obtain a developmental history of the child which is important to include in any reports in order to provide appropriate context.

How long does it take to get a report?
It takes a minimum of 4 weeks after completion of the assessment sessions to score and write the report. In most cases, our clinician will go through the report with you at a feedback session. In most cases, your child will not attend the feedback session.

What can I do if I don’t like my psychologist?
Not every psychologist is the perfect fit for every child or family. You’ll be allocated to a psychologist during your intake phone call based on the information you disclose, but if you find they are not suitable at any time and for any reason, you can always request a change to another psychologist. Similarly, if the psychologist feels you’d be better served by a different clinician, that can also be arranged. You can always speak to your psychologist or the reception staff about any concerns and they will be happy to help.

What if I feel like no progress is being made?
The first step is to let your clinician know how you feel. If you are uncomfortable doing that, you can send an email marked “Confidential” to the Practice Manager, Andrew Tompkins at Your email will only be seen by Andrew and Raelene Dundon who is the Senior Clinician and Director. We will work with you to find an appropriate solution.

What do I do if I need to complain about something?
We are keen to hear about any problems you might have so please send an email marked “Confidential” to the Practice Manager, Andrew Tompkins at Your email will only be seen by Andrew and Raelene Dundon who is the Senior Clinician and Director.

Will your psychologists refer suspicions of child abuse to the authorities?
Under Victorian law, registered psychologists (including provisional psychologists) are mandatory reporters which means that if during their work they form a reasonable belief of the physical or sexual abuse of a child, they are legally required to report that belief to authorities such as child protection. In most cases they will attempt to advise the parent that they need to make such a referral, but they are not legally required to.

Can I get your clinicians to write a report for my lawyers or for the courts?
No. Our practice focusses purely on assessment and therapy. Our clinicians also don’t take sides in custody disputes and don’t provide formal recommendations regarding access or custody arrangements. A psychologist who works as part of the legal system would be a better option.